Sunday, March 16, 2014

Fashion sewing table

Hi people of the internet! Do you want to know how free magazine subscriptions, a plain desk, and a bit of time and effort can turn into this?


Well just stick around and I'll tell you all about it.
1. Gathering The materials 
As I said thanks to a bunch of online surveys I got tons of free magazine were I could get all of my fashion clippings but if you don't have something like that search around your house for some magazines or just drop a couple of dollars and buy some at the store. When you do get the magazine go through them and cut out the pictures you like like this:
I also suggest that you keep the edgings of the clippings in a bag:
Also in order to keep your clippings together I suggest putting them inside a binder or folder:
You will also need a pair of scissors, spray on glue, and spray on clear lacquer; I got the last two at Walmart for about twelve dollars:


 Lastly, of course, you will need the desk you have chosen to cover 

 2. Prepping your surface

Now, even though I had to take apart the desk in order to get it out of the closet I also suggest that you take apart your desk too in order to make gluing your clippings to it more easier. Once you have done so take a rag or sponge, wet it with some water and dish soap, and thoroughly clean and dry the surface.

3. Getting to work

Since you are going to be working with spray glue make sure the place you are doing this project is well ventilated and the area covered  by news papers or even an old sheet. To start you simply pick a clipping, spray the area of the desk where you want it to  be then place the clipping as shown in the pictures below:





























Keep doing this until the surface looks something like this:































You will notice that there are gaps in between the clipping and whether you want to leave them that way is up to you but in my case I wanted to cover them up. To do that I took the clipping edges I had saved and found a scrap I liked:

















Cut it out and placed it on the gap:
















When all my gluing was done I left it for an hour to dry then took my desk peaces outside. Laying them on the ground I took my lacquer and sprayed an even coat over the surface in order to seal the clippings to the desk.















Again I let the peaces dry for an hour than took them back inside, put them back together and added the finishing touches and my new sewing desk was done!

No comments:

Post a Comment